I thinks when there is inflation...things should change when it comes to background payment

I was just recently on a few sets as probably most of all of you have been and I got to talking with a few people. I met this woman that had come all the way from NJ to work on a film here in town. Now some people might say she is Union and she is doing this to collect her 72 days to get insurance, nope... she was non union. Now what she and others were getting paid is $65/8, that's pretty low especially for her that wouldn't even cover her gas! Now this woman's situation is a bit over the top, because she lives 4 states away. But anyhow the point of this is with everything from gas to the cost of living here in Mass Union and Non-Union alike are getting paid a little low for most people's standards. Now you can say to me "Chris...we are getting paid just to be on a movie set and sit around, why not?" This is true but how much did it cost you to get there? gas, tolls, maybe even parking? Now take out the taxes and subtract your expenses and what are you left with? I mean I love this art form and craft and I would do it for nothing at times, that's why we don't care..we love this business. I have heard that there is an extras union out in LA, I don't know how it good it is, but again we all want something more than be just extras.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think that anyone that does this for the money is nuts!!

I do it for the fun...To be on set...Meet new people...The little bit of money that I do make pays for the gas and my "extra" clothes.

But I wont go past Rhode Island or New Hampshire for a booking....I need to do what is right for me and my family...
Anonymous said…
Things must be slow in New Jersey if someone decides to come all the way to MA just to be an extra!
Anonymous said…
I wouldn't mind if they threw in an extra $15 towards gas. It's so expensive now. Sometimes you have to drive a long way to get to the set and then back home. Don't forget wear and tear on your car.
Anonymous said…
Wait a minute. I did my first film in 2004 as non-union, and I was paid $125.
Recently I know pay has gone down to about $95.
Now you're saying they've gone down to $65?
That is basically half of what they offered non-union less than five years ago -- what is up with that? Is that borderline poverty-level pay, or what!?
Anonymous said…
Hi..I'm a veteran SAG member and from L.A. but am here now. Just to enlighten you there isn't an Extra's Union. Central Casting in Burbank,CA is still the place to go to sign up for extra work. The way it is: 99% who you know in the business. I learned on the set of a popular tv series for several seasons. I was lucky to say the least.Never burn your bridges. Good Luck!

Popular posts from this blog

People agreeing to work and not showing up.

Keep your political views home..

SAG Strike close to NOT happening :)