Favoritism in Boston?

Matt S. wanted me to post the answer to his his question and the answer is some people are favorites to certain agencies. Is that fair? Of course not but it has been happening for ages. My opinion is everyone should get a crack, because the "no-one" my just be better than "the favorite" remember most dark horses win races. So to my "non favorite" friends, push the envelope and market yourself the correct and suttle way where you do not become annoying. Because remember everybody this is a small city and annoying names get remembered, and that is not a good thing. Remember if you really want it, you can become it no matter what the occupation. Want to make a note that I will having a 4 to 5hr seminar based on this blog this summer that talks about getting ahead in this business with a no holds bared type of way which is how this business should be presented. The correct presentation of how to start or be in this business is what should be delivered, with no "fluff" included.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"without being annoying"- LOVE IT (because it is true).

-you probably know who this is, haha
Anonymous said…
Hell yeah there are FAVORITES! They always get the calls. There are also annoying butt kissers who shamelessly beg for and get parts!
Anonymous said…
Not necessarily true. Sadly, I have seen some ignorant and not-well behaved extras complain and complain about the others who get work - it is the others who are acting professionally, keeping to themselves and who know their place as "background" on the set. Also does anyone realize a little thing like showing up on time will affect your reputation?
Anonymous said…
Showing up on time is a great point! That'a really important. Every set I've been to there are at least a few who stroll in a half hour after the call time and don't think that goes unnoticed. Personally I've never been late and I'm usually at least a half hour early. Early is on time to me. It's better for everyone that way including yourself. You can get your paperwork and fill it out, eat and get through wardrobe faster when they are ready. Then you're all set to work as soon as they want people. I don't care what I'm doing in a scene but I do care about working. In order to work you have to be ready. Paying attention is important too.
Anonymous said…
As to showing up late! You all make it sound like people show up late on purpose. Maybe the people who sow up late had reasons, traffic, family issues etc. Don't condemn people who show up late, unless you know why.
Anonymous said…
I left the post about showing up on time being a great point. I think some of that opinion comes from seeing things first hand. I myself have seen people stroll in an hour and a half after the call time with no explaination as to why. Some do get lost or get caught in traffic or whatever but it's a professional situation and if you're late you should expect it to be noticed. I don't think some who are late realize that it doesn't just affect them. You may be able to show up late and end up waiting around anyways. But sometimes there is wardrobe to get, hair, makeup etc.. When you're late it can put those people's jobs behind and they can get crap for that. I agree that some may have a seriously good reason for being late but the majority I've seen don't seem to. If traffic is an issue, budget the time. Unless it's a gigantic accident that morning and there's nothing you could do, it's not a good excuse. People travel for over 2 hours to get to set and arrive on time. It's really not that hard when you know what time you have to be there. If it takes an hour to drive, you don't leave with exactly an hour. And if you can't make the call time then you shouldn't say you can work that day.

Popular posts from this blog

People agreeing to work and not showing up.

Keep your political views home..

SAG Strike close to NOT happening :)